1. Why or how did you get started in making jewelry?
I went home and found a "how to make jewelry class" that night. As they say...the rest is history =)
2. What style(s) of jewelry do you like to make?
I'd say my style is classically elegant - at least - that's what I think. =) I like to make jewelry that can dress up any outfit (I like to say from ho-hum to SHA-ZAM!). It's also really important to me that pieces are versatile, so that you can wear it with many outfits vs just 1 piece in your wardrobe.
3. What materials do you prefer to use (and which ones do you avoid)?
Typically, I'll use anything from handcrafted lampwork beads, to Swarovski pearls and crystal, to bits and bobs of fabric, to beads purchased at big box stores, beads from tradeshows and anything else I find interesting. I like things that are unique - be it in color, style, size, shape, sparkle...something interesting. AND I'm kinda obsessed with handmade beads, right now.
Generally, I avoid seed beads, earthy/rustic colors and anything that generally just doesn't appeal to me.
4. Which techniques do you
prefer (and are there any that you don't like)?
I like to make many styles of jewelry. I consider myself a stringer, first and foremost. I've done pearl knotting, kumihimo, wire crochet, play with resin, some painting and some basic wire work. I am hoping to get a bigKick to start playing with metal - we'll see how that goes. AND as if that weren't enough - I won an online retreat to learn how to play in clay. I haven't had the time, energy or nerve yet to make something, but I DO have clay and a project picked to start with. *eep!*
I don't do bead weaving of any sort or anything involving heat. So, no soldering, lampworking or anything like that....I sure love the pieces - just don't make them.
5. What colors do you use most, and which do you run screaming from?
I love working with color. When making a piece versatile, having more colors involved tends to make something easier to wear with many things. I typically lean to silvers and coppers for metals. I'd also say that anything with rainbow colors is VERY difficult for me to pass up. ;)
I've realized that making pieces with 1 color are REALLY tough for me. Someone suggested I make a black necklace. I didn't (and still don't know) where to start. I want to add color! Can't win 'em, all right?
Some other random trivia:
- I'm a Christian and hope that my light shines bright each day
- I attempted to make 52 pairs of earrings last year - 1/week. I did great until week 50. =\
- I love cherries - not the flavor - but the shape. (my biz name is cherryontopdesign) =)
- My favorite shirts are either a deep royal blue or a teal green
- I love to cook and bake - I don't like to clean up the mess ;)
- I'm a pretty decent photographer
- I love PJs and fun socks - I wear them most of the day....every day.
- I've had major health issues for nearly 13 years
- I'm often the 1%...99% of people have no issues.... I'm the 1% who does =)
- I love to laugh.....alot.
|stock photo of my new organizer|
- I love to plan an awesome party!
- I just purchased an INCREDIBLE organizer for my beads - it could take me a year to put everything in it *zoinks!*
Looking forward to reading about Natalie!
To be sure you don’t miss out on any of my crazy adventures, you can sign up to follow my blog by email or news servers using the links in the right column of my page. You can also follow me on Facebook get updates about blog posts, my latest jewelry designs, show schedule, and other happenings!