You can see my IG feed here:
I find myself posting my newest pieces on Instagram, as I'm working to build my following there and hopefully open up some new business opportunities.
FINALLY! I have a prettied up Brand, new biz cards, new sign, new earring cards...the hole bit! I've enjoyed revamping my brand to make it more....elegant. I'm hoping to step up my game this year, by introducing a higher end line, as well as my regular stuffs. I'm hoping to reach a little higher price point, customer. So - we'll see how that goes. It's gonna be a risk...but hopefully one that will pay off!
1. Why or how did you get started in making jewelry?
I got into jewelry by way of a craft show. I purchased a beautiful necklace for a family member for $38. The next week, I saw the same vendor at another show and mentioned that I had purchased a similar piece the week before. Her response was that they "got some more in". I thought "I thought you made it"? A few days later, while at a big box store, I see the same pendant for $4.99.
I went home and found a "how to make jewelry class" that night. As they say...the rest is history =) ------> that's my first piece ever
2. What style(s) of jewelry do you like to make?
It's really important to me that pieces are versatile, so that you can wear it with many outfits vs just 1 piece in your wardrobe. I love color and I'm trying to start incorporating other materials in to my typical type pieces. For example: Using fish leather in the necklace on the right.
3. What materials do you prefer to use (and which ones do you avoid)?
Typically, I'll use anything from handcrafted lampwork beads, to Swarovski pearls and crystal, to bits and bobs of fabric, to beads purchased at big box stores, beads from tradeshows and anything else I find interesting. I like things that are unique - be it in color, style, size, shape, sparkle...something interesting. AND I'm kinda obsessed with handmade beads, right now. I've also been playing with Patina paints and loving every.second.of.it! =)
Generally, I avoid seed beads and anything that generally just doesn't appeal to me (seriously, no aventurine).
4. Which techniques do you prefer (and are there any that you don't like)?
I like to make many styles of jewelry. I consider myself a stringer, first and foremost. I've done pearl knotting, kumihimo, wire crochet, play with resin, some painting and some basic wire work.
I don't do bead weaving of any sort or anything involving heat. So, no soldering, lampworking or anything like that....I sure love the pieces - just don't make them.
5. What colors do you use most, and which do you run screaming from?
I love working with color. When making a piece versatile, having more colors involved tends to make something easier to wear with many things. I typically lean to silvers and coppers for metals. I'd also say that anything with rainbow colors is VERY difficult for me to pass up. ;)
I've realized that making pieces with 1 color are REALLY tough for me. Someone suggested I make a black necklace. I didn't (and still don't know) where to start. I want to add color! Can't win 'em, all right?
Some other random trivia:
- I'm a Christian and hope that my light shines bright each day
- I'm a night owl - that's when I feel the most creative
- I've been in 3 different magazines with 4 published pieces
- I get to babysit 2 of my favorite little people from time to time - they're the BEST!
- I love cherries - not the flavor - but the shape. (my biz name is cherryontopdesign) =)
- My favorite shirts are either a deep royal blue or a teal green
- I prefer white chocolate over milk and DEF over dark
- I love to cook and bake - I don't like to clean up the mess ;)
- I'm a pretty decent photographer
- I love PJs and fun socks - I wear them most of the day....every day.
- I've had major health issues for over 15 years
- I'm often the 1%...99% of people have no issues.... I'm the 1% who does =)
- I love to laugh.....alot.
- I LOVE board games
- I love to plan an awesome party!
To be sure you don’t miss out on any of my crazy adventures, you can sign up to follow my blog by email or news servers using the links in the right column of my page. You can also follow me on Instagram or Facebook get updates about blog posts, my latest jewelry designs, show schedule, and other happenings!